Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Controlling Reaper actions with endless knobs Issue Tools
issueid=5115 03-16-2014 06:03 AM
Human being with feelings
Controlling Reaper actions with endless knobs
Reaper seems unable to detect correctly NRPN messages for controlling actions

Trying to set the endless knobs of my Akai MPD32 control unit to control actions that need more than the usual CC 0-127 values range (typically, actions related to scroll, nudge, navigate, zoom, etc...), I have set, on the MPD32, the first knob as a NRPN one (Channel 1, MSB : 000, LSB : 052). After having done this, I get messages that are structured as following, according to Reaper Event list :

Rotating the knob clockwise :

Channel___Type_______Parameter_________________Val ue

1_________CC_________Non-Reg Parm MSB (99)_________0
1_________CC_________Non-Reg Parm LSB (98)_________52
1_________CC_________Data Button Inc (96)___________1
1_________CC_________Non-Reg Parm MSB (99)_______127
1_________CC_________Non-Reg Parm LSB (98)_______127

Rotating the knob counter clockwise :

1_________CC_________Non-Reg Parm MSB (99)_________0
1_________CC_________Non-Reg Parm LSB (98)_________52
1_________CC_________Data Button Inc (97)___________1
1_________CC_________Non-Reg Parm MSB (99)_______127
1_________CC_________Non-Reg Parm LSB (98)_______127

These messages are compliant to the MIDI specifications (http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php). From which, I reckon that my MPD32 is behaving as expected.

The problem is that, trying to remote control the 'Transport/Fast forward a little bit' action or 'Transport/Rewind a little bit' one, I notice that in the 'Keyboard/MIDI/OSC' dialog of the actions list, Reaper only detects the following message :

MIDI Chan 1 CC98

The result is that, no matter the CC98 value set in the MPD32, Reaper reacts always the same way, by increasing the cursor position of 6 measures each time I slightly turn the knob, whether clockwise or counter clockwise.

So it seems that we are not allowed to set knobs as a bidirectional ones in order to perform, say, forward/rewind actions, as Reaper always ask if I want to override the shortcut of one of the two actions that I want to be controlled by this knob. More clearly, setting a knob as a bidirectional endless one, using the NRPN CC96/CC97 values appears to not be doable.

What is needed is a detection of any combination of CC99-CC98-CC96/97 message sequence when using the 'Keyboard/MIDI/OSC input' dialog in the actions list. At its actual state (v 4.602), Reaper seems unable to do so...
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Suggested
Priority 2
Suggested Version 4.60
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 5
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)