View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #689
ijijn
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Feature request: A notation display version of "Set note ends to start of next note".

There are two related problems that sometimes clutter up the notation display:
- When notes overlap (as they commonly do when sequencing legato phrases), the overlapping part is displayed.
- When the MIDI note is shorter than the intended 'notation note' (for example if the note is staccato or muted), there are often extraneous rests that cannot be removed by the global quantization settings.

I think these problems can both be solved by a notation display version of the "Set note ends to start of next note" Action.
- It will probably work best on a per-voice level.
- Also useful will an Action to toggle this 'legato' display.

Another request: A "Toggle display of hidden notes" Action, in addition to the existing "Unhide all notes". If a user has spent a lot of time hiding notes, the toggle will allow the user to temporarily see the hidden notes, without undoing all the work by "Unhide all notes".
This all sounds good to me.

The first idea is great for tidying up scores that have overlaps and rests, especially imported midi or live dumps. I think that being able to do either or both would be ideal, because sometimes you would only want half of this functionality: extending or shrinking notes. Per voice makes sense to me. And I'm all for a destructive vs non-destructive way of doing this too: changing the midi directly or simply altering the view based on a toggle, depending on what you want.

Regarding hidden notes, Sibelius typically displays "hidden" content (when requested) in a faded grey, so you can still tell it's effectively hidden even when you "reveal" it. As you say, a "show hidden" feature helps to keep such events remembered as hidden (so you don't lose your work) but available to display when you want them.
ijijn is offline   Reply With Quote