View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
axeman
Human being with feelings

Default still no luck/probably going to send it back

Hi again,

JG: Thanks a lot for your input. I hope you have better results that I did (with your US-1641). Please keep us posted.

Another update: Went through all the XP "tuning" as requested (by TASCAM support) and the improvement was marginal at best. As this didn't really fix the problem, I decided to try experimenting with all the ASIO-related options in REAPER and found that raising the "ASIO thread priority" was the only way to keep the US-1641 control-panel application from freezing on any latency setting lower than default. Still experienced a lot of crackling at the setting below default (4/7ms per REAPER)--and went back to the default setting (4/17ms) to see if I could at least keep the audio stable (while on the highest "ASIO thread priority" settings). Although it went at least a few minutes without any noticeable glitches, some crackles eventually appeared, eventually followed by another 2-3 second dropout.

BTW, the first TASCAM tech thought my unit might be defective, so I'm considering trying one more just to see if that happens to be the case. (My gut feeling, however, is that it's probably an issue between the US-1641 hardware/connection, its driver, and possibly the USB 2.0 performance of my Dell.) The other oddity with my US-1641 is that the direct input monitoring is way softer than when the same signal is monitored through REAPER (at unity gain)--something I'd say is off my an audible magnitude in the region of 5-10 times, which really makes the direct input monitoring virtually unusable IMO. Plus the S/PDIF input cannot be direct-input monitored at all (verified by TASCAM). By the way, the volume of my E-mu 0404 is consistent whether I monitor directly through Patchmix or via REAPER (with any relevant inputs muted in Patchmix). (This is very handy as I can choose to record without any monitoring latency by going directly through Patchmix or via REAPER with associated ASIO latency.)

Cheers,

Alan
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote