View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
KevinW
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdownie View Post
Better? To my simple mind, EZD sounds better (richer, fuller sound). Jamstix is close.

But there's a caveat. They are two completely different variations on a theme.

EZD has loops & libraries & kits 'n stuff. I use it a lot & love it.

Jamstix 3...I'm still coming to grips with it. It has intelligence in that it will create patterns based on what song structure you tell it, kit, style, 'drummer' etc. And it is wickedly configurable in the fine tuning dept. It will create a drum track for you. It's like Reaper: it does 'simple', but there's a lot under the hood that you have to spend some quality time with in order to fully utilize it's capabilities. And it does complex really well.

Both will send you into GAS hell as they have different expansion packs that will bleed your savings dry. And it doesn't help the budget at all that these two play really, really well together (like taking a EZD track & running it thru Jamstix to change the piece up quite a bit).
+1 to all this, plus if you prefer the sounds of EZD but like the "brain" of JS, you can route JS into EZD, and have the best of both worlds.
But don't assume you will understand JS intuitively. It is too complex for that. Spend some time with the manual, watch the videos, etc. it's just a different animal. But I highly recommend it. I kind of like the JS kits as well, but mmv. I also have and use Addictive Drums, and I think the JS sounds are a bit less polished (I do like AD as well.)
If I had to pick one, I'd keep JS.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote