View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #68
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
"I just hate it when" people have another view than mine!

The difference between a painting and wallpaper is that instead of brushstrokes, wallpaper is made of global, repeated figures stretched out over a whole wall.

Sometimes music software needs global settings and sometimes (most of the time) editing takes place on small scales, where expressiveness can be created and varied.

Having access to both is good. If you don't want your music to be like wallpaper.
A thought. The way I see people discussing using item based editing is along the lines of "I enter the notes into my midi item and then grab the right handle and stretch it out for as many bars as I need it to be"
THAT is what I hate about item based. You either do that and get homogeneous slabs of MIDI(as you imply track baased editing would force you to do) or you have to stop in mid flow and add another item or move to another item you already created in order to vary a piece.

But Lawrence is right, If you dont get it, you are not about to be convinced by anything said that opposes your view, any more than those of us that want the best of both worlds will change OUR minds.
But at least 'our' way is non-exclusive.

Oops! I hope this does not read like I am getting at msore here!
He is actually agreeing with me that a combination of both methods is the ideal as far as I can see.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote