View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 03:14 AM   #24
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogy View Post
So basically, maintain a tree topology from mains to devices.

Code:
     amp----power strip----keyboard
                 |
                 |
Mains-------power strip----power strip---more stuff
                 |  |
                 |  |--Only plug power strips into this power strip
                 |
  blah blah-power strip----computer
                 |
             bass amp
Now, I'm wondering, how is this affected when you have too much stuff wanting power for a single breaker to handle, or practical concerns require you to do so (i.e. bass amp on the stage, your sound board in the back of the room are on different circuits, but DI-ing the bass connects the ground of the sound board to the ground of the bass amp)
The configuration you illustrate above still has traps for earth loops. Multiple power strips with different cable lengths are a recipe for this. The idea with star earth configuration is to have everything running from one central point.
A true star earth system is a hard wired configuration of power outlets wired by a qualified electrician but this isn't a practical consideration for everyone. My illustration above is an approximation of the configuration an electrician would use in a permanent installation but using stuff we have readily available to us.

To calculate whether or not you are loading one point too much, all you need to do is add up the total power consumption of everything connected and make sure it doesn't exceed the maximum rating of one mains outlet (most power strips have a circuit breaker anyway). In Australia, the total capacity of one domestic mains outlet is 2400 watts into a resistive load or, 240 volts at 10 amps.
I have my entire studio (DAW, UPS, hardware synths & analog sequencers, 8 channel power amp, V-Drums, HD projector, Hammond organ & Leslie, Mackie Onyx 1640, hardware FX rack, headphone distro amp, motorized control surfaces, Digi002r, CMLabs SixtyFour digital router) all running from one outlet via a power distribution setup approximating star earth as much as possible and the total load is still under the maximum rating of one outlet.