View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #416
TedR
Human being with feelings

Ah, perhaps I should elaborate

What I am trying to do is build up a tracking and mixing template ( set of techniques, skills and settings ) that will work to record my original material in my home studio.

I won't be recording anyone else and my instrumentation will always be about the same:

1) Bass
2) Steel string acoustic guitar ( rhythm and lead )
3) Vocals ( mostly lead and some harmonies )
4) a little keyboard to fill things out

I currently use the template feature of Reaper to save EQ, Plug in, and mix settings and that helps alot ( instant recall is awesome ! )

The thing I have noticed is that it is easy to forget things like specific mic placement, preamp settings, Bass tone settings, and such if I have to stop recording for a week or two ( because of work and life ) and then come back to it.

Alot of my stuff does double duty ( like my preamp ) and so things get unplugged, moved and readjusted for other purposes.

So I am working on finding a way to keep track of the above mentioned settings/etc. so I don't have to reinvent the wheel and re-think all that stuff when it's time to track again.

Also, finding an efficient way to log general/specific info ( as in recording tips and practices that I've found useful ) would be helpful, because it's easy for newbies to forget this stuff.

My ultimate goal is to create a pre-engineered template ( tracking and mixing ) that works well on my songs. Once this is done I can refocus my time and attention on writing and creating original music rather than spending so much time on the engineering aspect of the recording process.

Hopefully, that explains my question a little better. Hehe

Carry On Bud !!!

Last edited by TedR; 03-02-2009 at 05:17 PM.
TedR is offline   Reply With Quote