View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuster777 View Post
Hi forum,

Lately, I've been recording guitars through combo cabs using a Shure SM57 and a AT2050 on figure-8 set up for mid/side recording placed between 2 and 4 feet directly in front of the cab. I like the resulting sound--detailed, full, and spacious.

But I've been wondering how m/s with the SM57 and a figure-8 ribbon mic might sound. (I don't own a ribbon mic--yet.)

Does anyone have experience with m/s recording with ribbon mics? Good or bad? Suggestions for an appropriate ribbon mic? Or am I better just sticking with a condenser?
I'm don't think you'll get a huge change in sound if you are using the SM57 as the mid mic and the ribbon as the side mic (compared to using the AT as the side mic). However, you might get very good results using the AT as the mid mic and a ribbon as the side mic and the SM57 on an additional mono track to mix in to taste.

Samar Audio Design VL37 are a lot of bang for buck (compared to Royer). I you are on a tight budget, you might have a look at the NoHype Audio LRM-2. Don't underestimate this nonexpensive mic! However, it will require a sophisticated preamp with a lot of clean gain.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote