View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
Stretto
Human being with feelings

@Xenakios: I think that is a bit short sighted. You want something new and different? Expect it to take more cycles than the old stuff... You may be right about stagnation but look at at the computer graphics revolution... it happened from the gpu. One could argue about the video game creativity BUT that is a separate issue. One does not need advanced computer graphics to have a good game but a good game with advanced computer graphics is better than the same game without.

CPU's are limited. There are many good synths that take a few % CPU. Suppose you want to create some amazing layering from several synths. If you use 5 then your already at 25% cpu usage. You've already increase the latency by a significant factor. If you double that(want to overlay several popular drum samplers to get a nice effect) and add some effects and your at 50% cpu usage your pushing it!

The slower the system the more of an issue. Doing the majority of the processing on the GPU would immediately increase the value of your computer. Do you like upgrading your computer every few years because it can't run the latest cool synth or like not using some fx because they are cpu intensive? Using the GPU, if done right, could easily avoid this.

The real issue is not if it is good or not. We already have external audio processing hardware(even a soundcard essentially is one of these). The REAL ISSUE is using something that is generally much more powerful AND already exists on virtually every users computer... and once it is done THEN it won't have to most likely be done again(unlike video game's which are always improving).

VST's are slowly moving into that direction anyways... the system is not designed with the gpu in mind though and it will never be very effective. This means it will take much longer to perfect than by starting with a clear vision in the first place. I was hoping some companies had the insight to be working in this direction, but I guess if the users are demanding it(due to ignorance I suppose) then the companies don't have any reason to do it.
Stretto is offline   Reply With Quote