View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
Guido
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
This is something potentially exciting to me. If the REAPER devs could finally get HUI protocol working properly in REAPER, I could FINALLY start to use my CMLabs gear again. This has been my single biggest wish list for REAPER development since I started using REAPER.

At the moment, this is sitting in a box in my store room doing nothing.

Hi Dannii,

Good to hear from u again!

Short answer..get Justin to support Running status in the Reaper Csurf.
I have some good and not so good news and some ironic news.

The good news is ur now alot closer than ever to using MINIMUM 1 of those beautiful devices wuth Reaper with most all features except a non guarantee on the display feed back {other than what the Reaper Csurf now supports.And also good is I think i know EXACTLY why it doesmt work in Reaper but SHOULD.

I am putting together a more detailed and clearer exact details on the whys right now..but i wanted to tell u about this all quickly.

I have looked at the spec u sent me years ago off and on for ages..and could never understand y ur data looked different than what I was seeing coming out of my "HUI". This whole HUI secret code thing...u cant get the SDK from mackie without mob participation^^YUCK>>> And also I was ignorant about some key factors in the specs implementation.Not anymore.

The CM motor mix's implementation of the HUI spec uses RUNNING STATUS.
that is an early midi way of reducing "traffic".

I will provide links later, but from memory^^,,for example,if u send 3 midi messages in a row of the same STATUS {the first byte in a midi message}...e.g. note ..CC..Sys EX...after the end of the first message u skip the next two "redundant" status bytes and just use the rest of the 2 message's data.{and this is the short explanation or this Motor Mix issue.^^} The problem is ..not every midi program or even hardware supports running status. Obviously ..The reaper HUI Csurf doesnt'. Pro Tools does.

The other issue COULD be..based on ur answer to a question. When u try and hook up the box to Reaper using the Reap Csurf, does the MM's display say "online" or look like it should function? The reason I say that is another big difference I see in the MM's doc and what I see in the "new" HUI docs the op describes ...or that comes out of my HUI, is in the Sys ex. The Headers are different.....but we KNOW it works with protools and mine works with pro tools using different headers and the same HUI spec.

Sorry I have to go scoop up whats left of my 58 year old brain off the floor.....ok ....

I may have a solution if we cant get Cockos to support running status.{Thar would be the ticket}..but my possible solution depends on ANOTHER developer implementing Runnin status. SHEESH.

Or maybe some superior intellect {banned} could Pure data a thing that would take ur messages and insert a status byte. The good news here would be that this intellect wouldnt have to do all the messages individually I dont think. I beleive it could be done with..im goin out on the stretches of my knowledge here....global variables? e.g when xxxxx comes insert B0 in fourth byte?

to sum for now..ur box is hui..u already knew that^^.it just skipped a few bytes in the implementation to optimize performance {less midi traffic} If u ever talk to Mr Malone again, ask him...why??^^

I will return after my frontal labotomy..er...bottle in front of me...nm

Oh ...The ironic news...I had the HUI docs all along...yours!!!!! And {I don't mean to be blasphemous} I guess I really HAVE been on a mission from God...to help you!^^^ BB... phew

Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote