View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Now, as for Track Names I have never had a problem with that. As for the tracks ending up taking 40 hours to import, and then being all over the track view, yes, I have that EVERY TIME! Ardour SUCKS on Windows, but lets be fair to Ardour. IT is made ONLY for Linux or Mac, Paul & the gang at Ardour do NOT make a Windows version of Ardour, and more than likely will not in the near future I would guess..

Hope this helps!!
For sure. I respect Paul and what he's doing (he seems like a really great guy tbh) and of course, MixBus is not A3 yet anyway. But you're absolutely right. If Harrison is coding their own Win version, they should also make it a true fork and address some of that stuff for their customers.

It's not unreasonable to suggest that in 2013 a workstation should allow moving groups of tracks and channels via drag and drop or to have track selection follow between arrange and the mixer. No matter what functions a workstation has, you still have to manage it's UI and in this case, those things are highly annoying.

Yes, Ardour (at least 2.x) does kinda suck on Windows for those reasons and a few other minor things. OTOH, it's only a version 2 product so you can't expect the world in a basket at v2.

But I see where Paul & Co. are going with it in general and I like the "direction" a lot. Like Reaper, they maybe need to consult a tiny bit more on the UI behaviors. There is (comparitively speaking) way too much clicking around. Like the really nice track lists for arrange and the mixer and groups and all that. neither of them allow "swiping", which is a pretty obvious oversight imo.

Then the groups are all (afaict) created manually, create a new group, click each channel one at a time to add it to a group, click, click, click, click, when you should be able to select 10 channels and put them into a new group with a simple context menu function. I suspect (RTFM caveats still in play) that anyone with any experience on modern workstations would be annoyed a little by that stuff.

While they certainly are getting a lot of the little things right as relates to audio functions, they're apparently missing a lot of the little things as relates to general UI comfort and speed.

And yes, in this case all of those complaints go to the Harrison developers, not to Paul and Co., since the Win version is not their baby.

Last edited by Lawrence; 03-23-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote