View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #29
CaptainHook
Human being with feelings

I think a few people are missing another side to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Who uses Reaper is their own private information, which is a very good thing ...perhaps some very impressive people and organisations use Reaper, but that should have no impact whatsoever on any single user deciding if Reaper is appropriate for them. That decision should be made solely on the basis of the trial and how well Reaper might 'fit' for them. That way, everyone who comes to Reaper will do so for honest, accurate and transparent reasons.
While this is nice in theory, i never would have even TRIED Reaper if it weren't for my friend Kenny (who made some tutorial vids about it) recommending it to me. And as said above by Eyes, some of the defaults are so frustrating for a new user that if it weren't for Kenny's vote of confidence in the app, i probably wouldn't have stuck it out and spent the better part of a week customizing Reaper to suit me BEFORE deciding if i even liked it and it "fit" for me. (yes it did and i purchased a commercial license..)

Sure, this is different to trying something based off a "celebrity" endorsement.. but is it THAT different?

There are many other times i've tried a product because someone proficient in their field used the product and while i personally didn't know them, i trusted their ability and judgement reflected in their work. Granted it's harder to know it that situation if the person actually uses the product for their work, but ultimately i know i will decide based on my own opinions of using it so i'm just looking for a filter on choices to minimize wasting my time. This isn't about choosing what's "cool" because so-and-so uses it.

I sincerely think you've mixed two points there. People may choose to STAY with Reaper for "honest, accurate, and transparent" reasons. What makes them aware of the product and gives them confidence to even try it can be very different and that's okay.

--

Also, apart from compatibility the other reason people will gravitate to the popular choices is for the 'local support network' of engineers in their area. I still spend countless hours helping colleagues/friends out with Pro Tools because not everyone wants to spend their free time reading forums and would plainly rather talk to friends in real life who they trust more. There are languages for each product when it comes to "talking shop" (especially when it's in depth), and the greater the number of fluent speakers around you, the stronger your ability becomes to speak the language. I know of many people who have chosen certain products because of me and others around them they could rely on to help them out. And i've done the same for certain things. It's a practical decision based on resources available to you.

Again, just pointing out another side.