View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
Casualty
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Ah no - not I sir. Someone else's history!

Unless someone has performed an undo on my history(you see what I did there?!)
Ouch! LOL! Ummm, yeah.

Quote:
Incidentally I hope you're not the same casualty I heard about yesterday :|
Uh oh, what'd I do now, hehe??

Hmmm...me too, I guess? Gee that doesn't sound all that good... which Casualty might that be, I'm wondering?

Quote:
I'm guessing Close FX Chain Config is there as a way of getting the window to re-open as you step backwards, since I presume same changes that were before that point require the window to be open.
That makes perfect sense to me. And by itself it's useful.

The problem with this however is that once a window is open, it might close again if you choose to view a previous or subsequent undo history state. If it closes, you lose history - a new state immediately gets entered, and whenever a new state is created it's going to erase all entries above it. I lost hours of work once because of this... and it's kind of frustrating to try to explain. I'm still not sure there's anyone here who realizes exactly what I'm trying to point out - that this problem has a certain level of danger to it..

Quote:
So the ideal thing would be an option to skip that point I presume?
Well, I don't know if it's the ideal solution to the problem, but I do think it would remedy the problems I'm experiencing.

What I'm really after is a safer undo history that simply won't whittle itself away just from viewing a bunch of different states, without making any changes. Maybe there's another way of doing this that doesn't mess with the "Close FX Chain Config" at all, but to me (definitely NOT a programmer!) what seems to be the simplest way to accomplish this is to just eliminate the state, or at least have the option to.

So, yes having an option to do this would definitely solve the problem for me, but maybe there is in fact a better way to safeguard the undo history from these types of incidents.

Quote:
As for solo, mute, volume changes and "Adjust Track Volume (via Surface)" - I'd love to see all of those having seperate checkbox options to store or ignore those changes in the history - ie not include them at all.
I'm in total agreement!
Casualty is offline   Reply With Quote