View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
RDBOIS
Banned

Hello.

Nice song has a catchy beat. Had a hard time with that link, it came out as a video, not an audio file?

But, like he said above; the song lacks bottom and has lots of mid-highs.

So... let's see here.

Hope you don't mind, but I added your song in Reaper and did a few things to demonstrate what it would sound like with more bass frequencies and less mid-highs/harshness included.

First, here is what is sounds like (please don't freak out, I will delete this song as soon as you tell me. I have no intentions of taking anything that does not belong to me):

https://soundcloud.com/consciousgroo...rationtempfile

And second, here is what I did:

This is the dynamics and loudness of your song (notice that is clips (over 0 db a few place and has a very large range which is not a bad thing, if you actually planned it that way - I suspect you didn't because of the clips and the harshness that makes creates the loud peaks):

1) I added an EQ to boost the bass freqs and tame some "pain frequencies"

2) I added a multiband compression to tame the bottom end boost that I just applied, level the mids and highs.

3) Added one more compression to deal with very strong peaks (because I did not have access to your tracks I did it this way). Notice the following settings:

PRE-COMP = 40 ms : this means it will reduce peaks at the very beginning of the signal; the attack which often is overly loud

ATTACK = 0.1 ms : this is very fast, to be consistent with the Pre-Comp strategy

RMS SIZE= 0 ms : because we do not want to use an average of sound, but only the direct signal hitting the compression

4) I put a limiter (free JS Reaper - Event Horizon Limiter-Clipper) to make sure the final product would not clip; I also boosted the overall loudness a bit to get back what we lost due to the compression

____
And this is what it looks now; less peaks, less range, more even a bit less loud:

_

This was just for demonstration purposes. Technically I would of done things a bit differently if I would of has the track to work with... But it serves to show how I got more BASS and tames the mid-highs and harshness.

Note: I'm not saying you did a bad mix, this is only a different perspective on things: your song processed with more low end.

Here is a ZIP file with all the pictures above and the MP3 song:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...HprUXFwZXBRQ28

Note 2: let me know when to delete the soundcloud version, ok?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote