Thread: Best CPU?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
Indiscipline
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
For a DAW PC get an Intel, don't even bother looking at the competition. Same goes for games machines actually. I hope AMD catch up or even surpass Intel again someday but for now......
Do you have any measurements or real-world tests to support this statement? Don't get me wrong, I know the current AMD line-up is far older than Intel's and their architecture is inferior to the most up-to-date Intel CPUs. But I've been hearing this all these years, even when AMD just had released their most modern CPUs. And almost never you get any supporting evidence. Especially in a music-related field, where many people are subject to a cargo cult behavior.

What I'm really interested in, is how good and efficient is modern software (e.g. Reaper) in using all those available resources, especially multiple CPU cores. Specific use cases means that we should look at specific tests and not just general everyday usage anecdotes or results of possibly biased commercial benchmark applications.

From my personal experience: I've been running a 6-core AMD FX fore some time and I can't find anything wrong with it. When I selected that rig I came to the conclusion that I could get more than enough performance for much less bucks compared to Intel. And one should also remember to factor not only CPU price, but also the motherboard, and the pace of abandoning old sockets (which leads to full rig overhaul in case of an upgrade).
Indiscipline is offline   Reply With Quote