View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Peevy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomassetti View Post
Hey, man:

I kicked the Windows habit for good 2 years ago and never looked back. I haven't used Windows since XP Pro, and don't miss it a bit. Mind you, I'm not young and hip like the Apple commercials like to portray their user base. I'm more old and senile, but I like the hardware, expensive though it might be, and Mac OS is pretty stable for me and easy to navigate.

I'm quite new to REAPER, but have found that in general it has worked quite well in Mac OS. I get the idea on these forums that Mac is sort of a secondary concern for the coders — not a judgement, only an observation — but recording and editing both MIDI and audio has gone quite smoothly for me.

One thing I've noticed (and I'm going to start another thread about it, because I'd be curious to hear others' opinions) is that as far as plugins go, REAPER seems to like VST better than it does AU. I have lots and lots of plugs, and some of them will immediately crash REAPER if I instantiate the AU version, while the VST version will work perfectly well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks gtomassetti

I'm just a bit sick of using windows & hear so many good things about Mac.
Good thing to know about the VST vs AU plugin situation.

Just to clarify here before anyone mentions the fact that the gap between PC hardware quality vs Mac Hardware is pretty much non existent now, I know. The PC hardware isn't the problem its the Windows OS I really don't like. I actually enjoy building my own PCs so there's no problem there.

I'm definitely gonna get me a Macbook Pro when I can. the new ones look pretty decently spec'd & seem to offer a significant improvement in power over last years models.