View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #27
JGrabowMST
Human being with feelings

Having done lots of work in Mac, PC and Unix, I honestly have no favorite. I have a Toshiba Tecra M11 running Ubuntu 10.10 x64 perfectly, I have my older MacBook Pro, and I have my desktop running Win 7 x64. I use all of them equally, depending on which one I really need in front of me.

Repairing a Mac is no different than repairing a PC to be honest, the only difference is that the parts are a lot more expensive. A motherboard for an Acer, HP or Dell might run for 100-200, while a "logic board" for any Mac starts around $350 and can get all the way to $800, even Powerbook G4's are expensive to maintain, and given how widespread Snow Leopard is, the Powerbooks aren't even supported anymore.

I find that as long as a computer can do the job that I need done, it's good enough, whether it's Windows, Mac or Unix. I do tend to grab my MacBook Pro over my Toshiba a lot, and at home unless I really need to use the Desktop, it stays off because I just don't need to use that kind of power on a daily basis.

I enjoy the fact that my Mac feels very snappy, despite being the slowest computer I use based on specs alone, don't get me wrong, but my biggest point here is just that buying a used/refurbished Mac is definitely the way to go over a brand new one.

I just don't find Apple store "geniuses" to have much knowledge beyond the software, and very basic hardware problems, so I don't like the idea of depending on their service to fix the products they sell. I'm not perfect, and there are plenty of computers I've had to work on that I've thrown in the towel on, and fixed through means of replacing hardware or reinstalling the OS rather than "truly fixing" what was wrong, but with such a small amount of hardware inside a Mac, targeting two of the three potential problems (hard drive and logic board, but not cables) seems like a huge downfall of a technician, regardless of where they work.
JGrabowMST is offline   Reply With Quote