View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #427
DerMetzgermeister
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
OK definitely last post on this, because it's getting WAY off my intent. There are even a few misunderstandings in your posts that I'm not even going to address. So I'm just going to try and reestablish what I was trying to say.

So let me rephrase very bluntly (many apologies to yep)

yep: "Why should ELECTRICAL circuits sound different?" Because they're ELECTRICAL and ELECTRICITY doesn't change! Therefore, logically, old and new ELECTRICAL circuits sound the same! [If you disagree you must be illogical and a guitarist]....
Huh!?.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
...My argument is emphatically NOT that the difference between one piece of kit and another is illusory. In fact I stipulated pretty early in this thread that EVERYTHING matters. That COULD be read as a reason to pursue every picayune detail down to the Nth technical degree, or it could be reason to just leave it up to the amp and instrument manufactures to figure that stuff and just find stuff that matters to one's own sound. Either approach is entirely valid.

....I have no disagreement at all with people whose favorite piece of gear is "vintage."

If anyone is certain that loose tubes or germanium diodes or old speakers are the key to great sound, then I have no argument with their personal preferences, but I do expect a technical defense if they expect their assessment to be treated as empirical fact.

Oh, and yes, electric guitarists are superstitious, irrational, fetishist lunatics when it comes down to the search for the Almighty Tone.
I'm one of those.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote