View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 05:23 AM   #103
Peter Sadul
Human being with feelings

Default my simple observations on amplug noises...

Amplugs have quite high output level, because they were meant for practicing with headphones. Some preamps distort/clip if amplugs output is turned all the way up to 10 (it wonīt go to 11). I keep mine at about 8 or use Di-boxes Pad to tame it. It works with most pres. I am no expert on electrics, but these are my experiences.

I have also found out over the years that even if your mixers or soundcards "clip led" tells you that the signal is not distorting/clipping...It still might be clipping and adding funny things to signal. Always use your ears not eyes. ALWAYS. Never trust a led...

Amplugs hiss little. Every amp does. Itīs not a problem for me in recordings. I clean up tracks manually always and electric guitar should hiss little. It brings cool "authistic" vibe (joke). It can be annoying problem in live situation though when you play loud. My solution is Boss NS-2 noise suppressor pedal. NS-2 is also handy even when I play a gig with traditional amp setup with overdrive pedals (those bad boys can be noisy as hell). I hate hiss when I play live. I even hate PAīs that hiss. Drives me nuts!

My amplug AC30 hisses most (naturally) when the tone-control is set to the max. My own guitars are quite bright so it wonīt happen to me, but I noticed this when I recorded one session with crap chinese made Jackson. It had terrible mics...I mean that thing sounded like a pillow was tucked to my ears. Amplugs tone was at max, but all I got was a brown-sound with hiss...not cool at all...

One more thing. Are your cables ok? Amplugs output uses a small jack cable and you should always use really good quality cables with small plugs. Those cheap "computer-store cables" simply suck! Neutrik is your best friend. Cheap cables/connectors are the worst enemy.

Hope this info helps!

- Peter -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buddha Rats View Post
I just picked up an AC30 Amplug two days ago. I like being able to practice at night without waking up the whole apartment building, but I need help when it comes to recording with it.

The big question to Peter S (btw- GREAT songs!)is how do I get rid of all the unwanted hum and noise this little thing adds into the equation? Your tracks sounded smooth and quiet. I'm also using guitars not really known for their quiet nature at higher volumes thanks to the P90's.
Peter Sadul is offline   Reply With Quote