View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #26
Klemperer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
'Never' mentioned doesn't seem very accurate to me, but I take your point.

Dunno; perhaps some manufacturers get their impressions of DAW market share from their retailers, which traditionally has probably been a fair method for accessing that information. Like many other online-based products, however, Reaper has very little presence in the bricks'n'mortar retail market, which is only one of the reasons you could suggest how out of touch those places are.

The question of celebrity endorsement is a simple one, from my perspective. It is a system with such widespread corruption (oh god, like you would not believe) that its impossible for the end user to know whether any endorsement or 'casual interview mention' is authentic. Unauthentic endorsement is, I would guess, still much the minority taking the market as a whole, but for some companies it would be majority of their marketing message, and its very effective; users love to swap stories of the 'pr0s' that they think use the same stuff as them. It makes the whoile practice effective but essentially meaningless to the degree where engaging with it is just ...lame. Who uses Reaper is their own private information, which is a very good thing ...perhaps some very impressive people and organisations use Reaper, but that should have no impact whatsoever on any single user deciding if Reaper is appropriate for them. That decision should be made solely on the basis of the trial and how well Reaper might 'fit' for them. That way, everyone who comes to Reaper will do so for honest, accurate and transparent reasons.

Great post. And just add to that - all what you say leads young or seasoned people who choose a daw to ask "what do others use". Now in our societies a whole lot of musicians use cracked software (another topic, sure, but it's a fact) - and so those newcomers think "if so many use a cracked Cubase" (or Logic or XYZ) it IS good.
I am sure that adds to the party. Many do use software without paying, and so they learn "Cubase is the best" or whatever.

Surely Reaper (for whatever reason, lol) would be cracked too (my, what would you say). But it surely is not the number 1 choice of people.

So, like White Tie said - people who use Reaper got it recommended from those who love using it, or tried it themselves. And Reaper IS used a lot. Maybe a few musicians don't like to talk much about what they use.
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote