Human being with feelings

i'm having the same problem here on an XP system. here's some specs:

XP Home Edition
REAPER 2.010
AMD Athlon FX-55 processor
2GB RAM
Presonus Firepod interface

here's what happens and what patterns i've noticed:

REAPER will work fine if i open it up by itself without any other programs running. however, if i open say Winamp, or if an audio file plays in my Firefox browser, as soon as i press play on REAPER nothing happens. it says Playing but no cursor movement.

now if i'm playin an audio file in my internet browser and stop it, REAPER stops working. with the audio file in my browser stopped, i can close REAPER, re-open the project, and it will sometimes work again, however at this point if i try to play the file in my browser again, i get no audio. if i close the browser and re-open the file, it will play in the browser, then REAPER stops working again.

one workaround that i've found is that if i open the Firepod control panel and make a change to the latency setting (doesn't matter if i increase or decrease it) and click "Done", REAPER will freeze up completely and i have to hit the End Program thing. then upon restarting REAPER, the audio will work again. so i guess making that change resets something in the interface that allows the audio to work. it's not really a valid workaround, just hoping that maybe this will give somebody a clue as to what might be causing the problem.

now with Winamp open, REAPER refuses to work unless i close winamp, close reaper, and re-open REAPER. and sometimes with REAPER open, if i start up Winamp and hit "play" i get an error message. and sometimes even if i close everything, REAPER will still not work, so i'll have to make a change on the Firepod and click "Done" and then it will start working again. so it seems like REAPER 2.0 is not playing nice with other programs that do audio on my computer.

this is really annoying, because i'm used to having reference material or other versions of a mix or something on hand in another program so i can cross-check with whatever project i'm working on in REAPER. never had this problem until 2.0 came out.

HELP!!!
zed32 is offline   Reply With Quote