Thread: AKAI EIE Pro
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
Galaktus
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Your workflow may, and probably will, be different than mine, but I never use inserts, so that's a non starter for me. As a total newb, what will you be inserting? Unless you really know what you're doing it's unadvisable to EQ on the front end, as well as compression, which I only ever use when I need to pad the input (like drums peaking my converters with the preamp gain at 0), and in that case I put it after external preamps...so if I didn't have those, I would need an insert for that, but I don't think that's a common problem.

I like the scarlett and it may find it's way to my home one day.

--Edit, due to poor reading comprehension--
You don't need inserts to add preamps - the preamps will put out line level, so just plug them into the main inputs (of any interface), make sure it's set to "line" (if aplicable), and turn the gain down to 0.
Ohai, I'm a bit tardy here but that's just my style. Thanks for the reply Kenny I appreciate the input. My noob comment was more in reference to my status on this board, I have spent a fair amount of time in the recording and pro audio realm just not at the helm so to speak so my technical know how is not strong to say the least. While you are absolutely correct I probably won't concern myself with outboard eq's and sech it would be nice to have the option of eventually adding some compression. A technical query as I am sort of a dingbat, if you run an external pre into the line input will that bypass the internal pre? And if not wouldn't the inserts be the way to run external gear if the aim is post pre (confusing to type, hopefully not to read)? At any rate I suppose this is a bump because I am curious as to whether or not anyone has tried this unit yet. The Focusrite sure is tempting but as my budget is hyper tightwad I am still considering the Akai as this will all eventually be phased out for something nicer in the long run and gee it would be nice to hit the ground running with 4 pre's right off the bat. Still not a lot of internet traffic on this thing.
Galaktus is offline   Reply With Quote