View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
pattste
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman View Post
Reaper is in serious need of support for HUI and EUCON protocols. Reaper has grown so much in positive directions that I have almost completely dropped Protools in favor. HOWEVER, I say almost, because the lack of support for digital surface consoles for mixing and rapid workflow needed by professionals that cannot be forced to mouse mix has to be addressed!
I completely agree. In fact, when discussing Reaper with pro or full-time engineers, the lack of support for control surfaces is one of two issues that invariably comes up, the other being the lack of support for OMF/AAF import and export.

My perception of Reaper's development is that the priorities are heavily driven by what the development team needs or can use in a DAW. I see this as both a plus and a minus. On the plus side, they are likely to be users of the products and actually care that it works well. The downside is that the product direction isn't market driven and adding features to Reaper to make it attractive to users of competing products and increasing Reaper's marketshare doesn't seem to be a priority.

For instance, I recently suggested to Justin that he could pay the AATranslator team to develop an OMF/AAF plugin for Reaper and that this would help sell copies of Reaper, especially the $225 variety. His answer was that he wasn't considering it and AATranslator probably prefers to sell its own product anyway. I find an answer like that a bit perplexing, truth be told.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote