View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
RJHollins
Human being with feelings

Yes ... the EL34.

I was never a 'tube amp' guy for things like studio monitors. I was always mindful not to have monitors sound 'better' or euphoric when making engineering decisions on them.

But the situation happened for me to get a fully restored ST-70.

Once I started reading up on this amp, and found the sub-culture of enthusiast and modder's .... I knew I was in over my head :|

I ended up getting the quad-matched Mullards from a highly recommended place in Arizona [US]. They were not cheap to say the least ... and they may not be what the audiophile guys drool about ... but I must say, I can definitely work with this combination

For grins, I even hooked the Dynaco up to my original 1980's NS-10s ... again, very workable. It might even sway me from the original Hafler, QSC, or Bryston / NS-10combo.

Anyway... I totally agree on the Auratone usefulness. When ya hit MONO ... you get MONO.

I was very fortunate [early in my career] to start work with a veteran producer that insisted working on Auratones.

Like most ... I hated them ...especailly compared with having huge JBL or TANNOY's for the house system.

It was definitely worth the growing pain/struggle to make those Auratones sing. When it did, the results in the big mains was usually mind-boggling.

It usually did not get similar appreciation going the other way.

My 'technique' went Auratones -> NS-10's -> to house mains.

But even during tracking or mixing, the Aura's clearly showed every thing from pitch issues, to backing vocal blend, snare level to lead voice ... ahh so many different issues became obviously exposed with them. I find them personally essential.
RJHollins is online now   Reply With Quote