View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #34
axeman
Human being with feelings

Default looks like I'm keeping it

Hi again,

I finished up my test piece last night, adding violin and then recording the MIDI-triggered organ to audio as well. As far as a short multitrack test recording is concerned, I think this pretty much took care of everything I'd need to do (with the exception of eventually recording drums, but I think that will probably be OK too) on the US-1641.

As what will probably be my final pair of performance tests, prior to making a final decision regarding keeping/returning the US-1641, I successfully recorded the following two scenarios this morning:

1. Simultaneously record/monitor 14 inputs (including both S/PDIF channels) at 44.1kHz.

2. Simultaneously record/monitor 12 tracks at 96kHz/24-bit resolution (no S/PDIF).

NOTE: Inadvertently performed the first test at the driver's "high" latency (~7/29 ms in/out) setting, but restored it to "normal" (~4/17 ms in/out) for the second.

Used the following inputs for testing:

- 8 microphones, connected to mic inputs 1-8
- 2 unbalanced mics, connected to instrument inputs (9-10)
- a stereo organ patch, fed through a Mackie mixer, with balanced outputs connected to inputs 11-12
- an electric guitar plugged into a Johnson J-station, connected to the US-1641 via S/PDIF (stereo)

After monitoring in headphones, made the brief test recordings by singing out loud while playing an organ chord with my right hand (and tapping on the guitar with my left hand in the first instance). Am extremely happy to report that the entire pair of tests went perfectly--with no dropouts whatsoever. So, based on all the tweaking I've done, it looks like I'll end up keeping the US-1641 and simply adapting to its shortcomings.

Thanks, once again, to all those who helped along the way.

Cheers,

Alan
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote