View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #384
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang View Post
arp!0 only generates midi. afaik, this is not something midi can do by itself. the arps/sequencers i have seen that have this feature are built into a synth and do the glide internally. but i think many synths have an option to glide when midi input notes overlap. so you should be able to get this effect whenever the gate time is >= 1. this is not something i have much experience with though. anyone else have better ideas here? tia! /dan
Within the limits of the pitch bend range of the synth, you can probably do it with MIDI pitch bend. For example, if the pitch bend of the particular instrument used ranges from -12 to +12 semitones, you can make a glide of maximum 24 semitones by playing the first note with pitch bend at minimum from the start, then gradually moving to maximum, with timing controlled with some parameters. If the device allows for its pitch bend range to be set dynamically using MIDI (e.g. using RPNs or SysEx), you can change it to the desired interval for every individual slide, so you can maintain maximum pitch bend resolution for each slide for smoothest sliding results (I remember making a TB-303-inspired script for doing that for some other old Roland synths ages ago).