View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #22
partonkevin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaber View Post
Ok so i have my new condencer mic and I have a phantom power supply. Mic hooked up to the power supply and the power supply running out into a USB port (XlR to usb just in case you are wondering) on my computer.

My problem is one the microphone picks up too much noise witch leads me too the mic has no settings on windows to change this witch leads me to the next problem it has no settings to change this because it is coming from a usb.
The settings i were trying to change was in the properties of the microphone in recording devices on windows and were the "Enhancments/Custom" tab where it will give you options like
-dc (Something forget)
-noise reduction
or under levels tab where there are commonly meters for "Microphone" and "Boost" Mine only has "AVG" under custom and "Microphone" under levels.

Sub question- Can i use xlr to mic jack (1/4 of course) out of my phantom power? So my mic will go going will be the the mic jack so i can plug it into the mic port and have windows recognize it better as a mic?

PS. Was going to upload photos of the setup but had a error about security token or something like that.

You probably should have started a new thread for this, but anyway. Lets try this.

The power supply is ONLY a power supply. It doesn't provide preamp capabilities. I'm not too sure about this XLR to USB thing you talk about. Is it an "interface" built as a cable? XLR to USB doesn't work without something happening between. If it is an interface of some sort then your input volume controls would show up as a USB Audio Device in Windows and you would set the volume there.

You could "TRY" coming out of the power supply to 1/4" and into your "mic input" of your computer. It "should" work, but I can't guarantee it.

I hate to say this, but for music, you really need a proper interface. You can get away with a cheap one, that's not a problem. I cobble together equipment all the time, but the EASY solution is usually the best.