View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
DVDdoug
Human being with feelings

Quote:
I jus got reaper yesturday im a noob and ive trying to figure out how to mix and master perfect vocals
Perfect??? I've been "fooling around" with audio since the analog days, but I'd probably get fired if I tried to mix or master Lady Gaaa. This stuff takes years of accumulating knowledge & experience. ( Except, we all secretly think we could do a better job than the pros... especially if we could just get our hands on the right equipment. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2o2 View Post
well i used reaper for the first time yesturday and the sound i got was a lot fuller than when i edit with cool edit.
When you record & playback, your choice of software does not affect "sound quality"

When you record, the software basically just sets-up the soundcard/driver (sample rate, etc.) and then it takes the digital data from the soundcard's ADC and routes it to a file on your hard drive. You get exactly the same digital data from the ADC with Reaper, Cool Edit, or even Audacity.

The same goes for playback. Unless you are processing the data, the digital data basically just gets sent to the DAC and comes out of the soundcard as an analog voltage. (There are exceptions... The playback software or soundcard driver might have optional effects and there may be some resampling & volume adjustment by Windows or the driver.)

Reaper has more "tools" and capability than CEP (and it's way more up-to-date ). So, you may be able to edit or process the sound in a way that gives you better or "fuller" sound, but this does not happen automatically or accidently.

Simple things like mixing or volume adjustment are virtually identical with any audio editor or DAW. Things like reverb & EQ are likely to use different plug-ins or different algorithms and they will sound different when done with different software.

For recording vocals, the most important things are acoustic environment, microphone choice, mic placement, proper levels, and good "talent"! (And of course, you should be using a preamp or mixer with a proper low-impedance mic input.. You shouldn't be using a standard consumer-soundcard's mic input!)

Last edited by DVDdoug; 08-04-2010 at 05:17 PM.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote