View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
Reno.thestraws
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
I kind of agree with Reno.thestraws. The test isn't ruined but it is a bit of an oranges to apples comparison. I could easily discover rather significant technical differences (gain differecnes and certain frequency ranges blurring to the left or the right when doing cancellation tests) but at the same time I couldn't reliably tell the difference between the two in a double blind listening test. I encourage everyone to use ABX or some kind of double blind testing method when listening to these files. If you know which file you are listening to (hitting solo on a specific channel) your subconscious is going to start attaching qualities to each file based on notions that may or may not be real. By testing whether you can reliably tell the difference between them (a=x or b=x) you demonstrate that you can have a valid opinion on which sounds better. If you cannot then, I'm sorry but you were probably imagining the differences you heard.
totally agreed!

And as I say... you listen to A SONG

a song might sound good or not because of the production but there are a million factor's that influence that

tracking
arrangement
musician plays
intruments
mix
phase
etc
etc

the summing (analog or digital) represent nothing in that vortex of possibilities

the proof?

do the ABX test in double blind on 100 percent, you'll see that nobody could make a 10/10

I don't say that analog summing is the same that digital but it's not really important! it's just a matter of habit of work!

and if you don't know waht you want

do a real comparaison test with no other variables!

Because this test is not a real one

imagine you wanna compare a old analog camera with a digital one

- you take a picture of a landscape with digital camera
- diplay thaht picture on a super high resolution monitor
- take a picture of the monitor with the old camera .
- compare the pics...