View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
bigwoody
Human being with feelings

For the peak files, Reaper lets you create an alternative path so all the peak files from all your projects can be stored in single directory. Everything else (audio files, midi etc stay in your project directory. To set this up, first go to Options/Preferences/General/Paths and create a directory under "Alternate waveform peak cache path", name it temp or reaperpeaks. Now go to Options/Preferences/Media and click the check box for 'Store all peak caches in alternate path.

The cool thing about this is it will leave your project directory much cleaner with just your important stuff. You can also occasionally empty the alternative directory and all that means is the next time you open your project it will just take a minute to re-build the peaks. You won't loose anything important. (I only clean this out about once a month or after I finish a significant project.)

To effectively use "Clean current project directory' first you need good basic project management. What I do is every song (project) has its own directory. The way clean works is if there is any sliver of any file being used in your project it will keep that entire file. If you have several takes for example but you only use slivers from 3 or 4 takes it will keep all 3 or 4 files. If you have something like this the best thing to do is glue the entire track with all the pieces when you are done with your edits. This will create a new single file and then when you clean the directory you can remove all the other ones. Be careful, like any delete, once you empty your recycle bin they are gone.

Hope this helps.