View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
airon
Human being with feelings

The problem is most likely time. Three guys doing all the coding and design work, and us here being nice but not overly well organized.

And an interesting perspective from you Geoff. It may be that Avid is no longer interested in promoting sales of Artist units to users of hosts that do not already support EuCon, because they're restructuring,

or Reaper is a serious threat and they don't want to help the demise of Protools along,

or Cockos is under NDA not to talk about EuCon integration until it's ready,

or Cockos has yet to find any time to do anything about better controller integration.

What EuCon actually does is an old idea.

It's "here are control resources, do shit with them on a per-application basis". It never was "Controller X interacts with DAW X according to hard-coded never-changable rules".

Reaper does have a bit of "here are resources, now do shit with 'em", but it's the most primitive kind us resource use. It's the one-button->one-function method and that's it. Ever user has to build it themselves.

Better than nothing you say, but the stuff I build with an Avid Icon console includes customzed LCD-labeled soft keys, plugin maps across all channel control resources, sectioning of control resources for special modes, LIKE multiple types of plugin maps, group member displays, VCA drills, send spreads(using available special-section faders for all sends of a track), simple send flips(controlling one send on one/selected/all tracks with a fader) and a whole bunch more stuff.

Reaper is the bottom feeder on features guys, because OSC has no industrial strength controller support. That means motorized, touch-sensitive faders and knobs. It's just a wish, and for all the hoo-haa'ing about the price of Artist units and their build quality, when supported well, people get the jobs done faster.

They're better tools, and I hope Reapers devs will find the time eventually to interface with those tools, so all of us who can get good use out of them and can afford them, actually get that opportunity.

As for "who needs this"-people, until you do something faster, what do you know about doing it any faster than you are now? Have you ever seen beyond your current horizon the increase in productivity that you were going get with Reaper before you started using it well ?

I do now. YOU still don't when it comes to EuCon or perhaps automation, or something else you don't yet understand the use of. So you might need to trust people here you've trusted before.

airon is offline   Reply With Quote