View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
Midnight
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbm View Post
So what are you going to do with the laptop?
I'll have an S90ES Yamaha synthesizer plugged in via USB for MIDI and remote control of REAPER, with its audio going into an E-MU 0202 USB/MIDI interface, a Porsche driven on sand. I plug an electric guitar into either the S90ES (rarely), or the E-MU 0202, or a Line 6 GX USB/MIDI audio interface. So far, that's it. Very simple but also very limited and, apart from the synth, cheap (price as well as sound quality).

My Dell desktop, originally purchased for email, web browsing, and word processing, could only handle this much when I started to use it for recording. I was limited to single tracks and only a small number of VSTs in fx chains. After I get the laptop, I plan on upgrading the audio interface, looking at a mixer to add mic inputs for voice, acoustic guitar, and maybe a tube amp.

For drums, I use the synth and its variety of kits, as well as its great bass voices. I also use VSTi's such as the VB3 and NuBi plugins, Synth1, arpegiators and effects i.e., more software than hardware.

I'm retired, an amateur who can't read music, just messing around. But I drive cars and computers into the ground so my preference is to buy new and the best I can afford. The W520 is a well-built i7 Quad which I to last beyond the typical 3 to 4 year PC lifecycle.

Cheers