View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
bluzkat
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
Okay here we go again with this 64 bit crap.

Okay here is the problem since you mentioned Ram,

Okay so if you are running let's say windows 7 64 bit. very good OS.
if you run a 32 bit app in it, it makes no sense as you will not be able to use all that good ram you bought. So if most of your apps are 32 bit stick with 32 bit OS.

It's very simple you take a huge loss running 32 bit apps in a 64 bit OS, as the OS has to run double the work now running a 64 bit app and a 32 bit at the same time. This was not for compatibility, it was only added to 64bit so you could at lest run your apps until you get the 64 bit version of the app.

So since a 32 bit app can only use 2 gig instances and a 64 bit app can use more than 2 gig instances. You have to decide if you want to take the full advantage of 64 bit then all your apps, vst's and specially VSTi's must be 64 bit!!!!!

Hope you understand that, it's hilarious I see people all the time doing this, they run a 64 bit OS but run 32 bit apps LOL, very stupit as they are actually running the apps slower then window xp lol

whatever computer you get DO NOT ignore the facts above or you will be just not happy at all.

By the way I would dualboot as that is how I run all my systems. XP 32/ Windows 7 64 bit

If you patch your windows xp kernel with the PAE patch ( google it) then your xp can use use all the ram you give ( depending on your mobo too) up to 128 gigs of ram. But remember your apps 32bit will still have the 2 gig limit.

just like windows server 2003 32 bit supports 128 gigs of ram because it has a PAE kernel. This is the kernel that made those patch's possible

hahaha thanks microsoft
Did you even read the original post?

Nobody mentioned 32-bit, the OP was asking about RAM usage in 64-bit Reaper.

You have *strong* opinions... but they are not right for everyone.

Just saying.