View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
Kundalinguist
Human being with feelings

Earlier this year I built and legitimately operated my first ever PC for audio. I had been using two Mac G5s that I now use only for graphics - meanwhile, Digital Performer 6.0 is long sitting idle.

Happily, the PC has become my new audio machine, thanks to Reaper. I also bought good components including a Gigabyte board that allowed me to hook up my trusty (old) RME PCI card and UAD-1. It was all custom fitted to my needs and what I preferred (silent PS/fans, etc.) All my Apples are noisy. My PC is way quieter than any of them. Apple's machines haven't allowed me to use my old PCI stuff since early this century. And they have always cost me a fortune to buy new - $5000, $3800, etc. In comparison, my newer, faster PC cost me under $1000 to build.

I would definitely go for a PC, if only for audio using Reaper.

Admittedly, I still prefer OSX - the GUI, the ease of usability. But when using Reaper I feel no difference in a PC, except that it's much faster now. For everything else...I still love Mac stuff.

As for the Hackintosh stuff, I REALLY looked into that and it looks TOTALLY unreliable unless you want to be tweaking constantly with each update, etc. I spend enough time not creating music. I don't need to waste any more on "kext" file issues.