View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #19
LFO
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Kevin,

the UI might be nice but OSX is NOT an efficient OS, it doesn't scale as well as windows Xp even with multicore/thread apps.Have a read of this

http://www.dawbench.com/win7-v-osx-1.htm

Reaper along with Cubendo runs so much better on windows, from latency to GUI speed it's hands down a better platform not counting the maturity of x64 under windows either.

All cross platform apps seem to run better under windows, if you want to run logic or DP then I'd suggest a Mac of course but for any other DAW windows x64 is the best performing platform.I'm writing this on a Mac by the way

MC
Hello MC,
Actually, OSX is an efficient operating system. Very much so. I am familiar with the benchmark you pointed me to. (Most techy oriented DAW enthusiasts both read and in most cases took a swipe at it.) Lets just say that the tests are flawed to a degree that the published results were, in my mind, of no value. Like zero. None. I applaud the effort and if a valid test were performed the data would be of huge interest, but sadly that is not what we got. Keep in mind that I do not think there is a `winner' or `loser' in testing such as this. I've been in the industry since 1983 and still today run comparative cross-platform load testing, platform sizings, and capacity analysis to determine what platform is the best to run applications. (True, I deal with RISC and CICS architectures primarily, but Intel gets in the mix about 30% of the time.) I'm not saying I'm all knowing, I'm just saying the test was deeply flawed.

Anyways, I appreciate you sending the URL, it was a well intentioned pointer. The one thing I did garner from the test when it was released months ago was that OSX may be overly complex to code for efficiently. That in and of itself is a flaw and if true needs to be corrected.

Now that I've got my Windows and Mac boxes up and running, maybe I'll run some tests and see if I can come up with a valid comparison.

Wait...who am I kidding? I don't have time for that.

-Kevin