View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
norbury brook
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO View Post
Hello MC,
Actually, OSX is an efficient operating system. Very much so. I am familiar with the benchmark you pointed me to. (Most techy oriented DAW enthusiasts both read and in most cases took a swipe at it.) Lets just say that the tests are flawed to a degree that the published results were, in my mind, of no value. Like zero. None. I applaud the effort and if a valid test were performed the data would be of huge interest, but sadly that is not what we got. Keep in mind that I do not think there is a `winner' or `loser' in testing such as this. I've been in the industry since 1983 and still today run comparative cross-platform load testing, platform sizings, and capacity analysis to determine what platform is the best to run applications. (True, I deal with RISC and CICS architectures primarily, but Intel gets in the mix about 30% of the time.) I'm not saying I'm all knowing, I'm just saying the test was deeply flawed.

Anyways, I appreciate you sending the URL, it was a well intentioned pointer. The one thing I did garner from the test when it was released months ago was that OSX may be overly complex to code for efficiently. That in and of itself is a flaw and if true needs to be corrected.

Now that I've got my Windows and Mac boxes up and running, maybe I'll run some tests and see if I can come up with a valid comparison.

Wait...who am I kidding? I don't have time for that.

-Kevin
Kevin,

Well from my personal experience using both over the last 15 years those benchmarks quantify my real world experience using both platforms.

I've been running Cubase and Nuendo since version 1 and have tried on both platforms over the years.The Windows version always won on:

1; Latency
2; the Gui, it's like glue on OSX
3;ASIO direct monitoring

I use OSX as my 'office' machine and it's fine for that

MC