View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #29
axeman
Human being with feelings

Default DPC Latency Checker results (ay caramba!)

Hi again,

Had the opportunity to run DPC Latency Checker on the PC and found some very interesting results:

Started with my USB-based WLAN card in, as I needed it to download the application anyway. When I first launched the tool, it seemed to indicate average USB latency of nearly 40 μs, with an initial peak at 746 μs. Let it run for about 5-10 minutes and then caught a big spike up to 4350 μs. Figured it was time to pull the WLAN card out and start fresh.

As I suspected, things got a lot better right away. The average latency was around 10-15 μs, with the maximum captured at 44 μs. Let it run for about 15 minutes and eventually caught a spike all the way up to 88 μs. Based on this set of results, I thought things might actually be OK.

So I figured it might be a good idea to plug in the US-1641 at this point and see how that affected the readings--and this is where things started to disintegrate:

Initially caught some spikes up to 2438 μs (which led the program to prompt that digital audio/video would probably experience dropouts). Let it sit for a while and the spikes actually increased all the way up to 3199 μs. Started REAPER at this point and the maximum latency jumped up a little to 3255 μs right away. After playing a bit of my test recording, however, that raised all the way up to 4495 μs and eventually peaked at 5168 μs. At this point I shut REAPER down, which caused an even bigger spike--up to 7525 μs--but that, in itself, didn't really surprise me, as I figured there might be some bindings to release.

I restarted REAPER and decided to try adjusting the latency setting within the US-1641 driver. Meant to start by increasing the latency to maximum ("highest"), but accidentally went to the other extreme ("lowest")--and all hell broke loose. DPC Latency Checker showed a lot of spikes, with the highest reaching 17421 μs, right before REAPER hung (at which point the US-1641 driver-setting application would not open). Rebooted and set the US-1641 for maximum latency and still saw reasonably bad performance, with averages in the 30 μs range and a significant peak at 2631 μs.

Based on these results, am I correct in assuming that the US-1641 and/or its driver is really the most likely source for these performance problems? Is there any reason to expect that the USB ports/drivers/BIOS on the Dell is still at least a significant part of the problem?

By the way, I attached four of the screen shots to this message, just in case anyone wants to check out the details. Here's a brief legend (in chronological order):

- final_sample_no_WLAN.JPG (taken with WLAN out, before attaching the US-1641)
- 2nd_sample_after_playing_audio.JPG (taken after the US-1641 was inserted and audio played in REAPER)*
- 1st_sample_after_stopping_REAPER.JPG (taken after REAPER was stopped).
- with_lowest_latency setting.JPG (captured right before REAPER crashed, after accidentally setting the US-1641 for lowest latency)

*Uploaded this one last, so it's out of order in the attachment list (but in the proper order of the items as listed above).

Assessments/additional insights extremely welcome.

Take care and thanks again for all the help,

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final_sample_no_WLAN.JPG (43.9 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg 1st_sample_after_stopping_REAPER.JPG (53.0 KB, 707 views)
File Type: jpg with_lowest_latency setting.JPG (58.1 KB, 736 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd_sample_after_playing_audio.JPG (53.9 KB, 773 views)
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote