View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 05:16 AM   #1
mklimus
Human being with feelings

Default VSTi adjustment using Machine Learning

Hello all, that's my first post.

Recently I've started studying AI/ML subject.
I'm going to write Machine Learning program which will get any sample piano sound and will adjust settings of VSTi (arbitrarily chosen) "to met" this sample sound as close as possible.

The initial idea I have is to write two programs.
The first one is an application which will control VSTi running in REAPER through MIDI. It would be then a bridge for the second program which will use Machine Learning magic.

My first choice to write the bridge was Java (it's simple to integrate on any platform) with javax.sound.midi package. I don't really have an experience in "music stuff" development at all, but I thought that I can list all available MIDI devices (MidiSystem.getMidiDeviceInfo()) in the system and I will see REAPER MIDI device too and I'll be able to send messages to it. I can't see it, though. See attached screenshot.
How can I "attach" my program (it doesn't have to be written in Java) to send messages through MIDI to REAPER?
Another idea is to write my own MIDI device and add it in REAPER. What do you think?

One more question is: why I can't see these two MIDI devices listed in Java program in REAPER?
See second screenshot.

If anything is unclear, feel free to ask about it

PS.
Thank you for REAPER anyway
I'm a guitarist using it since I can remember. Keep going!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 11.19.58.png (19.3 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 12.50.11 copy.jpg (38.6 KB, 276 views)

Last edited by mklimus; 02-25-2017 at 05:52 AM.
mklimus is offline   Reply With Quote