View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
The Telenator
Banned

First of all, jockey, no one was 'complaining'. Read more carefully. Second and more important, OP was reporting in with a real problem. OP was asking for help. Look, I'm not going to screw around going back and forth with him, begging for specs. That's OP's responsibility. I took what he listed, even added a disclaimer about generalising without full info (do read more carefully), and ran with it. You go with what you got. If he was taking measures to reduce CPU cost, it was his place to inform us.

With few rare exceptions, such as recording or mixing an actual orchestra or creating a virtual one of your own ITB, I'll generalise again -- running with 100+ plugins, some of them real hogs, and claiming your CPUs are reading 85% is just plain foolishness. No law against it, though.

If his CPU from whatever management tool is showing this 85%, I'm sure you know that number is not realtime. That PC was probably hitting 99 every few seconds. He just wasn't seeing it.

Most of us who have been around a few years know where the bulk of this silliness is coming from. Ever since CPUs got big enough, RAM able to deal with enough, and HDDs able to store enough, then inevitably users began to create these massively bloated projects. It was expected. You hand loaded guns to enough untrained people and a few heads are going to turn up with new holes in them. I've even seen it as dumb bragging points. Your mates all meet in the pub and the new guy, being introduced, is trying to prove how skilled he is, 'Oh, most of my projects run at least 200 tracks, with scads and scads of [choose over-hyped brand here] plugins!' It's also a 'my machine is bigger than your machine'. It's become like a childish pissing circle.

For contrast, in your post you included mention of freezing tracks, using sends, plugs at summing, on busses, doing OTB processing, and perhaps more -- common practices, all. You have a very different animal than our original elephant. Also, the affordability and light CPU hits of many single preamps, tape effect, etc. -- Satson a popular example -- makes it nearly impossible to refuse this setup. I know these can still add up rather quickly, but this is an accurate emulation of a real-world recording desk -- and again you mentioned freezing tracks right after.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote