Old 11-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #223
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
I'm looking for anyone who really likes what I'm doing already:
http://www.ge.tt/5mF06jf
(there's a good chunk of my songs)

I don't know what genre it's in but I'm inspired by a lot of great musicians I look up to (tom waits, jeff buckley, Billie holliday, calexico, beirut... to name a few) and imagery like old timey town bizarres and tent revivals.

things I do well, in order of experience/confidence:
vocals
lyrics
production/songwriting
drums
guitar

online collab would be cool, but finding some people in the twin cities would be awesome. it's been a few months since I've focused on making new music but would love to find some people and work on a fresh project as well as see where the songs I've written could go with more input and instrumentation.

I was looking at the link you provided and was curious about Ge.tt. I'm always looking for free ways to archive stuff on the internet. So I clicked on TERMS and starting reading the TERMS OF SERVICE: 2 File Upload and Content Rule:

BY UPLOADING CONTENT TO THE KEEPIT SERVICE, YOU GRANT TO KEEPIT, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION KEEPIT'S SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS, A NON-EXCLUSIVE, PERPETUAL, IRREVOCABLE, SUB-LICENSABLE, TRANSFERABLE, WORLDWIDE, PAID-UP RIGHT TO STORE AND REPRODUCE SUCH CONTENT ON THE KEEPIT INTERNET SERVERS AND TO ACCESS THE USERS' COMPUTER FOR THE PURPOSE OF ACCESSING THE CONTENT THAT THE USERS HAVE SAVED WITH KEEPIT.

Now that is scary stuff right there, don't you think?

A few things come to mind:

1) What can these people do with your songs? Assuming they are still yours...
2) Once they get millions of files (user data) they are bound to sell the server content to a SUCCESSOR and, perhaps, this is where the sh*t hits the fan. Again, what happens to your songs?
3) WTF?! is this:AND TO ACCESS THE USERS' COMPUTER FOR THE PURPOSE OF ACCESSING THE CONTENT Can they really get inside your computer? I'm not a computer geek, but when we 'select a file' in our hard drive to upload to a server, does this open a permanent door that can be used at will?

Now. All this has got me thinking about other sites I've been using like Soundcloud, for example. Us artists work so hard to write and record our songs, and then we upload them to share them with friends, but what about copyrights and all?

Hmmm... It's back to the drawing board for me. I need to figure this out real fast before I do anything else.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote