View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Default Tempo Mapping (again)

Here: -> http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...86&postcount=4 Masi and I agree that there seems to be no user friendly way to tempo map an existing recording (e.g of an orchestra or a Jazz combo).

Doing some more research, I found that Stretch Markers seem to be supported decently well and many users seem to use them successfully to warp single audio items to sync them to the grid.

I understand that the Stretch Markers create a kind of local tempo-envelope for the item they are defined in.

So I have the idea that this might be useful for tempo mapping an existing recording: i.e. warp the grid to be in sync with the unchanged audio of a multi-track recording.

I understand that warping the grid is possible via the Mater Track's tempo envelope (after appropriately setting the project's timebase definition).

Now a "user friendly" workflow might be to use one of the recorded tracks (e.g.: Bass Drum) and apply (set and move) Stretch Markers to sync the audio to the Grid.

When this is successfully done, a Script could be executed that converts the item's local Stretch-Marker-Tempo-Envelope to a global Tempo Envelop in a way that the Item's Stretch Markers' effect is nulled. With that we should easily have a tempo envelope for the multitrack recording.

Does such a script already exist ?

Any Ideas how to create such a script ?

Any additional thoughts ?

Thanks,
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-17-2017 at 01:19 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote