View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
ChaseEversole
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucolic View Post
I downloaded Reaper a few days ago to begin trying it out, but I soon discovered that I was unable to get any sound output.

I'm on an HP Pavilion dv4 laptop, with Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

All I'm trying to do is to get sound through my laptop's speakers...it should be the simplest setup possible.

When I tried playing the All Through the Night demo project, I could see the meters moving, but no sound. I then tried recording some MIDI data to play back. Again, I could see the red meter move during playback, but still no sound.

I've tried all the options Preferences > Audio > Devices dialog:

WaveOut
- Microsoft Sound Mapper
- Speakers and Dual Headphones (I
- SPDIF (Digital Out via HP Dock)

DirectSound
- Primary Sound Driver
- Speakers and dual Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio)
- SPDIF (Digital Out via HP Dock) (IDT High Definition Audio)

None of them work.

Someone on the IRC channel suggested that I download ASIO4ALL and try that, which I did. With ASIO selected, I have the following options for the output range:

- SpdifOut 1
- SpdifOut 2
- Speaker1 1
- Speaker1 2

No combination of the above works.

(as a side note, I also don't get any sound when using ASIO4ALL in Sibelius 6 or Ableton Live Lite 8. But I get sound with any of the other outputs above for either program.)

In my Device Manager, I have the following devices listed under Sound, Video, and Audio Controllers:
- IDT HIgh Definition Audio CODEC
- Intel(R) High Definition Audio HDMI

They are all up-to-date.

Thinking it could be a compatibility issue with the latest version, I uninstalled 3.22, downloaded 3.21 and repeated all the above steps, with no luck. I then uninstalled the program again, downloaded the 32-bit version, and repeated all of the above steps once more. Still nothing.

I can't figure out why the same settings work in Sibelius and Live but not Reaper. Are there other settings I'll need to look at other than those in Preferences > Audio > Devices ?

Perhaps it's a Windows 7 issue...I don't know really know my way around the system yet. I did notice that the volume control now has options for individual programs, but I checked those and the ones for Reaper aren't muted or set at zero.

I've been asking on the IRC help channel, but it seems like no one knows what's going on.

It's incredibly frustrating...this seems like a great program, but I'm stuck on this seemingly simple issue and I can't do anything because I can't hear anything. I've spent over 20 hours "evaluating" the program, and the only feature I've gotten around to evaluating is the preferences dialog.
Are you sure there is no other media application or website opened? I know it sounds dumb and irrelevant, but Reaper will not play audio if something like iTunes/Media Player, or even Youtube is up in your browser..I don't think its an issue with 7..people have reported using 7 with Reaper and it is flawless (Probably the best suited).

However, your sound settings seem kind of peculiar..I currently have a laptop setup too. And out of curiosity, I unplugged my interface and monitors to test and see if Reaper would play back through the shitty built in speakers (Configured for doing so) and it worked...this puzzles me.

I would check all essentials..make sure no mute/solo buttons are active on the tracks, try plugging in outboard speakers, etc.
ChaseEversole is offline   Reply With Quote