View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
bfloyd6969
Human being with feelings

Well, I don't know what you as a one man act plays, but I'm a guitar player and my music is guitar based. So, basically I start with a rough guitar track idea that I wrote, and record that to a click track. I use a click track so that when I add the drums, I'm already in time. The guitar track is just a rough starter track to lay down the rhythm section. Next, I do (and spend alot of time with) the drum track. Because I am a 'one man recording band' I use drum sims. I have EZ Drummer but lately I've been using the free (and excellent) Super Drums FX. I lay down a midi drum track that fits nicely with the rough guitar track. While doing this, I may hear some alternative changes and I just lay down more rough guitar tracks to finish the drum track. Next comes the bass guitar. Because I don't have a bass guitar, this too will be midi. I have several convincing bass guitar synths (again all free) that do the job. Sometimes I use my guitar with Amplitube 2 utilizing one of their 'guitar to bass guitar' presets. Pretty much this is just throwing in an octave pedal in the chain (tuned one octave down) and turning the dry signal all the way down. Once I have my rhythm section complete, I record all the keeper guitar tracks. After that, the vocals come in and then I start mixing. This is just my 'system' and it works fine for me
bfloyd6969 is offline   Reply With Quote