View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
mad demon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrug View Post
But even if it had, a plant could still be dumb and not verify the checksums.
Plants are even dumb enough to make a glass master of a CD that has the CD image on it instead of making a glass master from the CD image.

Quote:
It can. In fact, the very intention of the DDP specification was to completely describe all types of optical discs. So, Red Book is only a very small part of the DDP specification.
Cool I didn't know that. What applications support it?

Quote:
But just for the record: the cue sheet specification is not very precise, it leaves out important information, like which encoding the file should be stored in, or how to use double quotes in CD text.
I agree on the double quotes in CD text part. I'm still don't sure how this is done. We just simply use "First "Nick" Last" and had no problems so far.

Regarding the file encoding: Cuesheet ASCII and Audio Data WAVE or Binary. I don't see any problem there.

Quote:
Also the being able to edit the cue sheet easily only applies to the three most important CD text fields (TITLE, PERFORMER, SONGWRITER). (But I personally think that's enough.)
I also find it easy to add gaps move indexes etc.

Quote:
Technically the DDP spec--which is not free, but at least does not cost money--is slightly more precise.
Wait it does not cost money? Why aren't they then releasing it to the general public? What are they afraid of. I'm not going to sign another NDA in my life though.

Quote:
(By the way, I've gone the route of signing the DDP license many years ago and checking my DDP masters myself. But to tell you the truth: it has only helped my understanding of how different software uses the format, but it has not changed the quality of my masters in any way.
I only made that remark about software screwing things up because we had that happen to us before. It took us a whole day ... we missed our deadline because of that ... because Waveburner would randomly move track starts around. The DDP file it generated was always OK though. Just not the way we wanted it. So verification tools as mentioned above are not going to help in such cases.

Anyway I think I spear enough of my DDP hate and leave it at that. What every the plant prefers is best. If they don't have a preference print the 1s and 0s on paper and send it to them that will make them change their "whatever format" attitude.
mad demon is offline   Reply With Quote