View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #451
insub
Human being with feelings

Thanks, Airon. I may give that a try.

I did try using MKV, H.264 @ 95% and PCM 24 bit and the resultant files were 6.08 GB compared to the original files which were 5.27 GB.

I haven't had a chance to compare the quality though.

I'm not working professionally, so I just need a trade-off that's good enough and file sizes that I can work with. On a 3 min video, I imagine that lossless file size would be no problem, but for over 2 hr's worth of video, I just don't have the computing power and patience to deal with 60+ GB files.

This is like mixing audio with MP3s. The source files have already been compressed, and there's no way around it. The camcorder had already compressed the file to MPEG-1/2 (mpgv) 720x480. So, I'm just trying to retain a comparable quality output. I think if I want to prevent the DVD Authoring (DVDStyler) software from re-encoding the video and compressing it again then I have to use MPEG 1 or 2. I don't know which because the documentation for DVDStyler is not very good. Also, DVDStyler will compress it more if I cannot get the file size down to the destination media which will be DVD5 (needs to be not more than 4.6 GB). I believe that if the files are the correct codec and size that DVDStyler will throughput the video.

I tried DVD Flick, but DVD Flick does not allow custom chapters (skip forward points) like DVDStyler does. DVD Flick can add chapters every so often, but in DVDStyler you can define exactly when each individual chapter should be rather than every 10 min or whatever.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote