View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #37
Airal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
No, you are wrong claiming

Velocity is just a control source which can be used for various things.

But this whole discussion is indeed not relevant for this request.
I know, but everything is just "controls" at the end of the day. It's all just bit manipulation... So it always comes down to who wants to give up the argument. What we do know is that velocity(in terms of the midi standard, which is just another form of control), in 99% of usage, represents the "volume/dynamics" of whatever it is apart of. To try to parse that and make it in to a big deal is more than pedantic, it is ignorant. I realize that in some cases velocity might represent "sustain", but that's just renaming things... doesn't change much of anything. We are not talking about names here but the ability to do things with the names. I was under the impression that I could not do anything to the "velocity"(or whatever you want to redefine the name as) for a midi item. I was wrong. But one still can't do it very easily, which I was right. I'd still like to do it easily because I'm lazy. I imagine a lot of other people would also be happy with a "velocity" envelope.

In fact, I'd rather have some programmatic way to do it. Say, input a function transformation that maps midi messages and envelope source to midi messages... of course, we basically have that in JS(although, I'm not sure if it can take an arbitrary envelope source and use that nor if one can even create arbitrary envelopes easily).
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote