View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #68
REAmix
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Normalization consists in raising (or lowering) the volume of the selected item until the loudest peak meets 0 dB or the volume you specify.
So, to answer you question about clipping: yes and no. Let's take an entry that has a max short-term of -14.5 lufs. If you normalized it to -14 lufs, the song will be raised of 0.5 lufs. In this case, if the song was limited to -0.1 dB, then there will be a lot of clipping. But if you left a fair amount of headroom limiting to -1 dB, then you don't have to worry.

Good resource about this: link

Exactly. It will be also a good practice for everyone, since that kind of mastering is the future.

Not really. I still bring all the entries into a fresh project every time, so it makes no difference to me and it's not even a long process either.
The LUFS measurement is over the whole song though, so normalization would need to be pretty clever, in order to level the whole song so that over the whole duration, it will be -14 LUFS.

I don't know how YouTube would do this, because if YouTube tried to Normalize an old recording up to -14 LUFS, they would either need a mastering engineer, or maybe just a really great limiter at least, like the IDR IV one iZotope has in ozone7, or there will be clipping.

Turning something down, I get it, but you would need a good program that would first of all measure the whole song in LUFS, and then adjust it accordingly, and if that means it needs to go louder, then it would need to apply limiting.

What's the process you use when you normalize?

My understand was that Orban measured the song, bout would not Normalize the whole thing to given LUFS. I would personally prefer to do it myself with limiting, but YouTube and the such must do it automatically and consistently

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmadero View Post
for this month, i attempt to do a mix to its render goes to the -14.0 LUFS..
personally i think it sounds very different (and better) if you could do the normalize in the mixing process instead to do a mix that goes to -10 LUFS, for example, and then normalize it in another process.
so, it goes to the concept to do a mix, and approach to choice wich sound more loud or not in a global listening.
i think this is the way im going for to the next mixes
I think you're right. Sometimes you might be able to submit something of the correct LUFS to somewhere like Soundcloud, or YouTube, but other times, your music might get normalized without your knowledge. Still though, I think around 13.5 is really the general ideal to go for.

Last edited by REAmix; 06-23-2017 at 05:06 PM.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote