View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #81
netnoggin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by indys View Post
Maybe the best approach is to make an application that receives all the bells and whistles from c24 and then map it to midi in a user configurable way. In that way the compatibility won't be an issue. In cubase it is possible to map almost any event to midi (even tracknames and window openings) via the generic remote functionality and if the c24 converter uses a virtual midiport it should be doable. In that case all you have to do is to do the mapping for each host one time and then release the mapping-file public domain.

If the mapper also supports sysex the number of buttons and lights and functions is irrelevant as the message size is almost only limited by f0-f7. (Some buffer overflows can be seen if you take it to extreme ;-))
Yes. To me, that approach is the most versatile, most open, and most shareable.

Quote:
The question is how much functionality the converter needs to have: blinking lights, converting faderposition to db value for its display and so on... maybe that should be configurable to...
Configurable makes it more versatile with the trade-off of more work up front. To the end user, it probably would make it initially seem more complex, but again, not if the configs are made import/exportable. And I think this is where there's definitely a tie-in with the work that Geoff is doing.

But it seems some of the chatter could be contained within the converter. I'm not yet learned enough in the Midi way of interfacing with controllers, so pardon my ignorance at this point (studying up though :-)). In the Midi controllers, are the lights for switches handled separately in the protocol, or is it assumed that the device handles the switch lights based on the state of the switch?

Quote:
Yes, I have read the Logic control manual and implemented its HUI spec in a track display application. I think they was publishing most of hui specification in that manual not knowing that the protocol was kind of a secret :-)

/Indys
Just wanted to make sure it was known. :-) And I agree, I don't think that was supposed to be published as it was. I was shocked to see the level of detail, right down to the authentication sequence and formula.

I was in a hurry to get to work, so I only glanced at it. And I thought I saw more direct matchup to the PT protocol, thinking maybe that was what they used. It may have been their starting point for development though.

I'm going to try to squeeze in more testing of our theories tomorrow afternoon on my Control 24. More data is always good :-)

NN
netnoggin is offline   Reply With Quote