View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 05:18 AM   #103
indys
Human being with feelings

Default The return of Control24

Busy week, but now I'm finished with analyzing the controller traffic. All buttons, knobs, transport, scrub, indicators, displays and meters are done. The only thing left is to decrypt how the timedisplay works. Each segment in the display corresponds to a bit and I need some code that translates characters to this bits. Anyone familiar with digital segment-displays? This should be pretty standard.

I'm working on the protocol manual and when I'm finished I will publish it here.

As I'm concerned I primarily want to have Control24 work with cubase. This I'm going to do by making an application simulating 3 HUI-controllers ,8 * 3 channels, that will be configured in cubase. The application reads the midi commands from the HUI interface driver and translate them into Control24 and vice versa. Why HUI? The hui driver was the only driver to send channel names as four characters and could be duplicated in the list of controllers in cunase.
The application might be configurable in some way with learning functions if I feel that I have the time.

Now to the part of reaper <-> c24.
But of course I want to see that the c24 rocks with reaper to! :-)
The easiest thing to do would be a Control24 to midi application. The Control24 protocol follows the midistandard in a way that the traffic is in 3 bytes chunks except for faders but that can be dealt with. Anytime the message is more than 3 bytes it is sysex compatible in the way that it is wrapped in F0......F7 sequence. Some special cases needs to be converted (like display messages that must have 4 characters and so on) but that I have to code anyway.

Is there some interest in having a such application or can someone here implement the Control24 protocol into some surface controller to reaper with the information in the protocol manual?

/Indys

P.S. And Yes, that application *will* have customized welcome message :-) D.S.
indys is offline   Reply With Quote