View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
DVDdoug
Human being with feelings

If REAPER doesn't do what you want, you can request a change but it might take awhile if they decide to do it, so your best bet is probably to find a different application.

I'm not a MAC user but that might be a limitation of the file writing modules built-into the operating system. I'm just guessing and I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that it might not be supported by default. For example, on a Windows machine you can play a certain range of sample rates even if not actually supported by your hardware (the drivers make the conversion) but it has to be a "normal" sample rate.

...Of all the things that affect sound quality, resolution (above "CD quality") is around the bottom of the list.

Quote:
That's like claiming soft clipping is pointless or 32 bit floating point or more than 8 megs of RAM or massive oversampling is useless.
Your analogy doesn't make sense. At some point you're beyond human limitations and there's nothing useful to be gained. I can make a preamp that goes from into the MHz range, but DC doesn't make sound* and there's no "sound" above the range of hearing, and any additional "information" is going to take-up "space" or "bandwidth", amplifier power, etc., and it's likely to do more harm than good!

Here's a different analogy... Imagine taking your TV out of our living room and sticking it across a football field... Can you tell the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray? No. The TV resolution exceeds your visual resolution so you can't see the difference.

* You can get a "click" when DC (zero Hz) kicks-in or shuts off, so it's generally best to prevent DC or filter it out.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote